Pressure washing is sometimes the perfect solution for cleaning home exteriors. The method is especially useful when it comes to preparing houses to paint as it can remove layers of dirt, dust, and grit that accumulate over time. However, pressure washing can be extremely damaging to your home’s exterior if done incorrectly. Even if pressure washing seems like the easiest option to spray away unsightly gunk on your exterior walls, you may want to consider some factors before you decide to jump on a DIY house cleaning job. This guide will explain everything you need to know about pressure washing your exterior walls and what you should look out for.
Beware The Potential Pitfalls of DIY Pressure Washing
Pressure washing is a popular option for cleaning home exteriors, to be sure, but it has also led to countless examples of what not to do. Incorrectly pressure washing houses can cause massive damage to siding, paint, and more. Pressure washing is meant to blast off stubborn grime and dirt and is sometimes a terrible choice for homes, depending on their material. The following points are some dangers that have cost homeowners a lot of money over the years:
- Pressure washing or power washing houses can deal irreversible damage to the siding and can sometimes blast it loose. If your home has an exterior brick and mortar surface, you will need to be extremely careful that the stream doesn’t erode the mortar.
- Pressure washers in inexperienced hands can be a liability to everything on your home’s exterior, including windows. They can ruin window screens and, in some cases, even shatter the windows themselves. Other items on the outside of your house, like electric panels and meters, can easily be damaged as well.
- They can ruin paint jobs by stripping paint, leaving an extremely expensive new project on your hands. Pressure washers can easily get under the paint and damage it if the operator sprays too long in an area or has the pressure adjusted too high.
- Pressure washing can spray and seep its way into your walls and cracks if used at levels that are too powerful. House walls are meant to keep out rain and light moisture, but they aren’t designed to withstand a pressurized blasting. This can lead to mold and mildew inside your cracks and walls that will be a new headache.
Looking for home and window cleaning in Dallas, Texas? Shine operates in the Dallas and Austin areas with full-service home cleaning to get your house sparkling clean while remaining 100% damage-free. Reserve your home cleaning today!
Considerations When Pressure Washing The Outside of Your Home
If you are still thinking about pressure washing your house, here are some extra considerations before you get started.
- Wall material – If the outside walls of your home are delicate, old, or more damage-prone, it will be best to skip a DIY job. Stained wood and wood siding can present a challenge for damage-free pressure washing. However, expert home cleaners will be able to wash these walls with very light pressure and other techniques.
- Experience Level – If you don’t have any experience or training with how to adjust pressure levels, attach equipment, use cleaning agents, and safely spray delicate areas, you will want to steer clear of a DIY job, as it could cost you much more than you bargained for.
- Safety – Every year, pressure washing injuries send thousands to the hospital. To avoid any safety incidents, it is best to have the pros carry out this job faster and safer while removing any chance of damage to your home.
Related: Can You Pressure Wash A Window?
Benefits of Pressure Washing Your Home
Pressure washing your home is by no means all doom and gloom! Pressure washing can be an excellent way to boost curb appeal and renew surfaces by removing unsightly dirt and grime. Professional pressure washing is a perfect way to spruce up exteriors and maintain homes. Here are some of the top benefits to having your home pressure washed:
- Pressure washing can remove dirt, dust, and allergens from your home’s exterior, making for a healthier place to live. Houses can look amazing when they are freshly washed, making for a great view every time you pull into the driveway.
- A good professional washing can add value to your home if you are looking to sell. It is a great choice for homeowners who are looking to get the best possible price when it comes time to list it on the market.
- Pressure washing or power washing can be an invaluable prerequisite for new paint jobs. It can ready the surface for a layer of primer that will adhere much more smoothly with high hold.
Looking to get your home spick-and-span this season? Contact our Shine Texas locations in the Austin and Dallas areas today for all your home cleaning needs. From window washing and exteriors to gutters and lighting, we do it all.
Sometimes It’s Best To Leave Things To The Pros
At Shine, we are big believers in the power of home handymen and women. DIY projects can save families thousands of dollars. But some jobs are best left to the professionals who know how to get the job done without any hiccups when it comes to preserving your home’s exterior. Our home washing and pressure washing professionals are thoroughly trained in providing damage and stress-free cleaning solutions that will have your home in pristine condition.
The benefits of pressure washing are undeniable, and you should consider hiring Shine professionals to have your home looking as good as new. We will inspect your entire property, remove any fragile items around your home, perform expert cleaning, replace everything exactly how it was, and leave your home shining.