While keeping the outside of your home’s windows clean is important for great visibility and curb appeal, keeping the inside panes clean is just as important! Interior glass is much easier for the average homeowner to reach and clean – though there can be a lot of it. Not only windows, either – think of all the doors, showers, light fixtures, and fireplaces in your house. We bet there’s transparent glass on a lot of them!Keeping all the glass in your home clean and sparkling doesn’t have to be a chore when you know the best way to clean each piece.
Step-by-Step Glass Cleaning
- Interior windows and glass doors: use a soft cloth and a commercial window cleaning solution to remove smudges and marks from the glass inside your house. Don’t clean windows with newspaper. This is a widely suggested tactic, but the low-quality paper pulp and transferrable inks might leave your glass – and hands – looking worse than before.
- Mirrors: Not sure how to clean a mirror without streaks? Apply a commercial glass cleaner or with a soft, lint-free cloth, and wipe it away! To maintain the shine, use a drop of rubbing alcohol on a cloth to wipe away water droplets and toothpaste globs as they occur!
- Shower stalls: clean your entire shower with a dedicated shower cleaning formula to bust through tough soap scum and hard water spots. Next, go over your glass shower door with an ammonia-based glass cleaner and a soft cloth. The real trick here is regularly wiping away water before it can dry on your shower stall door – keep a squeegee nearby to whisk away water after every shower.
- Fireplaces: if you have a gas fireplace, wipe away any buildup with a soft cloth and warm water. You can also use a commercial cleaner specifically made for cleaning gas fireplace glass. Do not use regular window cleaning chemicals for this specialized job. If you have a wood-burning fireplace, you can try creating a very hot fire to burn off interior residues, washing the glass with a mixture of water and fireplace ash, or using a commercial cleaner specifically made for cleaning wood fireplace glass.
- Light fixtures: turn off lights and allow the fixture to cool, if warm to the touch. Remove the glass fixture and wash it in a bath of gentle liquid soap and warm water. Dry the fixture completely with a soft microfiber cloth and put it back in place. If you can’t remove the glass fixture, spot clean it with a soft cloth and mild soap solution or commercial glass cleaner.
Hire an Inside Window Cleaning Service
As you can see, it’s important to use the right cleaner for the job – especially in the case of glass that gets hot, like inside a fireplace or around some light fixtures. For your complete peace of mind and ease, Shine offersnterior window cleaning and home detailing services on a regular schedule or an as-needed basis! We will hand-scrub and dry the inside of every window, plus wipe down edges and frames. Your satisfaction is our highest priority, so Shine pros always protect nearby surfaces and never leave a mess behind. We’ll also be happy to provide additional home detailing by cleaning your mirrors, ceiling fans, and light fixtures! No contract is necessary for this service –contact your local Shine office to get started.